For the first time in 2015, the POWRi Midgets and Micros were able to run a show at Macon Speedway. Two previous events were rained out, which made for a huge crowd and car count during the Toyota Illinois Speedweek visit on Saturday.
The POWRi divisions filled the pits with 52 Lucas Oil Midgets and 64 Speedway Motors Micros. Once the four Macon Speedway classes were added into the mix, 166 cars filled the pit area. The huge car count made for a long night but fans saw a huge amount of racing.
In POWRi Racing, Christopher Bell of Norman, Oklahoma took his fourth Lucas Oil National Midget Series victory of the 2015 season and the 19th of his career, doubling down for the third night of Illinois SPEED Week presented by Toyota. Matt Howard of Lawrence, Kansas earned his first career Speedway Motors 600cc Outlaw Micro Series victory, becoming the fifth different winner throughout the 2015 season.
In the Billingsley Towing Modified class, Stonington, IL driver Jeff Graham brought the field to the green and checkered, as he led flag-to-flag to extend his point lead. Rodney Standerfer was hounding him but could not find the opening he needed.
The UMP B-Mods had a solid field of cars and a very clean race. Springfield, IL driver James Farley, III crossed the line first with Wade Glover and Cody Stillwell in tow.
Street Stock competition saw Decatur, IL driver Terry Reed and Macon, IL’s Greg Osman out front. While pulling away from the field, Osman gave it a good college try but couldn’t find his way past the Reed machine.
Last, but not least, the UMP Hornets got a chance to race in front of the packed grandstands. Adam Webb, of Decatur, IL, who currently leads the points, claimed another feature victory. John Bright, Jr., also of Decatur, IL, and Matthew Reed of Blue Mound, IL garnered podium finishes.
The next event on the Macon Speedway schedule is this coming Saturday, June 13. Coziahr Harley-Davidson and Mueller Distributing night will feature the Miller Lite Twin 50’s. In addition to the 50 lap features for The Big Ten Super Late Models and Modifieds, Sportsman, Street Stocks, and Hornets will also run.
Pit gates open Saturday at 4:00, general admission gates open at 5:00, the pill draw ends when hotlaps start at 6:00, and racing action will take the green at 7:00.
Admission is $15 for adults and children 11 and under are free.
For more information, follow Macon Speedway online at www.maconracing.com, on Facebook (www.facebook.com/maconracing) and Twitter (@maconspeedway). It’s easy to join the Macon Speedway text service. Fans can text MSFANS to 74574 to receive fan information. Drivers text MSDRIVERS to 74574 to receive driver information. Message and date rates apply. Updates are also available by calling Macon Speedway at 217-764-3000.
Macon Speedway is located nine miles south of Decatur on U.S. 51, then 0.6 miles west on Andrews Street and south to 205 N. Wiles. Macon Speedway hosts racing every Saturday night, plus many weeknight specials.
Macon Speedway Results
POWRi Lucas Oil National Midgets
1. Christopher Bell (Norman, OK) 2. Tanner Thorson (Minden, NV) 3. Andrew Felker (Carl Junction, MO) 4. Darren Hagen (Riverside, CA) 5. Alex Bright (Collegeville, PA) 6. Spencer Bayston (Lebanon, IN) 7. Rico Abreu (Napa, CA) 8. Ryan Bernal (Hollister, CA) 9. Andy Malpacker (St. Charles, MO) 10. Chase Briscoe (Mitchell, IN)
POWRi Speedway Motors Micros
1. Matt Howard (Lawrence, KS) 2. Garrett Duff (Weldon, IL) 3. Joe B Miller (Millersville, MT) 4. Nathan Benson (Concordia, MO) 5. Derrik Ortega (Albuquerque, NM) 6. Jeremy Camp (Blue Mound, IL) 7. Evan Weyant (Sherman, IL) 8. Ayrton Gennetten (Versailles, MO) 9. Luke Verardi (Taylorville, IL) 10. Frank Galusha (Lincoln, NE)
1. Jeff Graham (Stonington, IL) 2. Rodney Standerfer (Germantown, IL) 3. Joe Strawkas (Buffalo, IL) 4. Jeff Ray (Unknown, IL) 5. Collin Alexander (Clinton, IL) 6. Jeremy Nichols (Shelbyville, IL) 7. Rick Hamilton (Decatur, IL) 8. Randy Spaugh (Decatur, IL) 9. Clark Robertson (Shelbyville, IL) 10. Shane Tomlin (Unknown, IL)
1. James Farley, III (Springfield, IL) 2. Wade Glover (Brighton, IL) 3. Cody Stillwell (Unknown, IL) 4. Ryan Timmons (Centralia, IL) 5. Tim Bedinger (Taylorville, IL) 6. Eric Brackett (Brighton, IL) 7. Brett Page (Unknown, IL) 8. Billy Justice (Decatur, IL) 9. Dave Eckel (Lovington, IL) 10. Thomas Riech (Springfield, IL)
UMP Street Stocks
1. Terry Reed (Decatur, IL) 2. Greg Osman (Macon, IL) 3. Brian Dasenbrock (Decatur, IL) 4. Nick Justice (Harristown, IL) 5. Kyle Waters (Oreana, IL) 6. Dustin Reed (Decatur, IL) 7. Jamie Suddarth (Decatur, IL) 8. Jason Scrimpsher (Decatur, IL) 9. Terry Reed, Sr. (Decatur, IL) 10. Tharen Reno (Springfield, IL)
1. Adam Webb (Decatur, IL) 2. John Bright, Jr. (Decatur, IL) 3. Matthew Reed (Blue Mound, IL) 4. Steven Stine (Stonington, IL) 5. Marty Sullivan (Decatur, IL) 6. Mike McChristy (Mt. Zion, IL) 7. Brian Offer (Springfield, IL) 8. Austin Wickline (Harristown, IL) 9. Cook Crawford (Lincoln, IL) 10. Brad Rexroad (Hammond, IL)